Many of you may not know this, but when I got married my husband was a clean freak. I never had to lift a finger except to cook. I did not know how to wash dishes clean enough for his satisfaction, so I just let him joyfully do it all.
When we had children the onus became more of a dual role and we both had to pitch in to keep the chaos under control. Even then it was a bit too much and when the four gears (people) are putting effort into the project only then did the house stay clean and orderly. Well, that did not happen too often.
Time marches on and my children have wandered off to college and we are back to the two of us. Low and behold the house elf has returned to his old ways. I do feel guilty about this. After all we went in to this marriage as a group effort. It seems it is mostly a him effort when it comes to the household duties. So, one may ask, what DO I do? Seemingly little - I cook, grocery shop, take care of the pets and occasionally laundry. Yes, I do wash dishes when needed but it usually ends up being my sweet husband who washes and mops up after me.
I know I work a lot of hours and odd hours at that but I really do need to try harder to hold up my end of the housekeeping effort. I am so lucky to have a house elf who does not hold my laziness against me!!
1 comment:
I take advantage of every task our house elf takes on. I love it and Richard!
Post a Comment