
I seem to be adapting to the night shift very well. But alas, my family is not doing so well.
Amy is in summer school and keeps Vernon busy being her chauffeur. Drop off at 7 am, pick-up at 2 pm, drop off at 4 pm and pick-up at 6 pm. Colt is away at his Duke TIP program. He is calling about twice a week, to Vernon on Sunday and to me on Tuesday. He is managing his own laundry. He told me he has lost about 10 pounds, but most students have picked up their 'freshman fifteen'. His voice is changing. It would be freaky to have dropped him off speaking an octave higher than when we pick him up. I'm not sure I will make that transition well. Although that is not really up to me.
Here is the issue with working nights; I leave for work at 6 pm and get back home between 8 and 9 am, depending on traffic and work delays. Then I go to bed @ 9 or 10 am and sleep til 4 or 5 pm. I cook dinner, then out the door at 6 pm. Tuesday is my eternal off day. So I come home Tuesday morning and try to stay awake until 10 or 11 then go to sleep until 3 or 4 pm. Here I am now, at 12:30 AM, wide awake. I am trying to get some things done but I will try to go to bed @ 2 am for a few hours then take a nap tomorrow from 1-4 before I go back to work.
Apparently, my spouse feels like I never am available. But let's look at this another way. When I get home from work he is in the midst of his workout and not available. I can't wait up until 11 or noon for him to finish, and sorry folks, but I am not going to sit in the exercise room while he grunts, sweats, and moans his way through his exercise. Yes, I am strange that way.
I think Amy enjoys the time with her dad and mom is not there, but remember Colt is not here to stir the pot with his dad and that makes a huge difference in the calmness of the house. We will have to see what happens when Colt gets back home. Amy has demonstrated more responsibility in household chores - like she is supposed to do but needed prodding to initiate and complete. Now, I come home and the kitchen is clean. Cool, huh?
Colt get all lovey dovey when I appear and seems to be okay with the new Mom working hours.
So the dilemma is finding a perfect time of the day we are both awake and oriented to each other and to the household/family/partner things we need to take care of. Colt found out that when I just wake up in the afternoon I am not WIDE awake. I have to ramp up to ALERT. Just like most people are not WIDE awake at 4 or 5 AM. From about 5-6 I am pretty alert and with it. And when I get home in the morning I am tired but usually conscious enough to have an intelligent conversation. I'm sure it will get better.
I am also putting in an extra shift or two during the work week. The rationale being a follows:
1. The hospital need the help and OT is available.
2. Through the end of June, we get a bonus for each extra shift we work.
3. It is cooler at night.
4. Who knows if the teacher will get a job, so while the opportunity is here and I am available, I am working and banking the money. After all, Vernon is at home and can cover the kiddo's activities.
5. I really love my job, really, really love my job.
I plan to back off the extra shift when school starts and that should make me more available during normal daytime hours. It has been amazing to me how well I have adapted to the sleeping during the day issue. I love ear plugs and the sleeping when it is light outside does not seem to be an issue in my world.
3 comments:
Love the new layout. Sooo coool. Glad to hear the job is going well. No surprise that it is taking some adjustment around the house. I know this is going to seem lame (considering we're talking about Vernon), but maybe he could change his workout time?
Yeah, it is lame, but always worth mentioning. Maybe Amy can sway him to another time. On the other hand, I'll have Coltieman back in a couple of weeks for some welcoming home in the morning. I think he and George are like two peas in a pod.
I want to email you something. Can you send me your address? All I have is your old work address.
Post a Comment