Sunday, January 18, 2009

Now What?!!

I had a fun week after my post Wednesday. I went the the doctor, my BP was 160/102. He changed my meds and added an antibiotic for a suspected sinus infection. I started the meds that night and woke up feeling GREAT!!! Really, no headache, no pain, nothing bad, lots of energy, until I was driving to work and started feeling pain in my back and tingling in my hands, then I got short of breath and made a quick decision to go the the ER at CY-Fair hospital. I couldn't even write my name when I got there. I had never had such a feeling of total "What the hell is happening now?" The staff told me to calm down, that I was hyperventilating. Then had the gall to ask me if I had anxiety attacks. You've got to be shitting me was my thought but I calmly said nope, never. I did get right in and they did screen me for a heart attack. I called my job and left messages that I wouldn't be in, then called my mom, who lovingly came to sit with me until 3:30 pm when we were told I would be staying overnight. (wow- what a run on sentence)
It turns out I had an esophageal spasm from the doxycycline irritation and resultant chest pain that sent me into a panic attack with hyperventilation and respiratory acidosis causing tingling from a drop in serum calcium levels. I spent most of Thursday in the ER then went up to a room at 6:30 and then labs, chest xrays, and more labs until the doctor came to let me go home at 7:30 Friday evening. Heart function is 60-65% - Normal, no elevation in cardiac enzymes - so no heart attack. I have to call tomorrow for a stress test on Wednesday and then follow-up the following week. Seems like not everything is hunky-dory but I'll focus on that then. The doctor was so sweet because I had been pretty emotional all day. (Sorry I hung up on you, I was starting to cry. I thought most everything was said and I didn't want to upset you with my tears.) I had told Amy I would chaperon the retreat and told Vernon it was no big deal, I would be there and then had to tell them leave without me. I told them I would maybe come depending on the outcome of the tests. The doctor was all "What is going on? The nurses are telling me you have been crying." Then he told me to have Vernon stop the car and come and get me for the retreat; which wasn't going to happen since Amy HAD to tbe there no later than 8PM. I was so grateful all was well. I called Vernon and told him and the retreat team I would be there but would be late. I left the hospital to go home, shower, get the new prescription filled, and then drive up to Plantersville.
We had a good retreat and I am still adjusting to the new meds, (I get a bit lightheaded if I move too fast).
We got home today and I fell asleep cutting coupons, woke up at 5PM, missed Mass, went grocery shopping, finishing laundry, and Thank God, I am off tomorrow.
Amy will have to update you all on the retreat. It seems that all the kids enjoyed themselves and really got something out of the "Yeah, Jesus, How Can We Help" message.
A super Duper big thanks to my Mom, the bestest, most fantastic Mom in the entire World!!! No words can convey how much I love you. Oops, the tears are starting - you know me, gotta go now. XXOO

2 comments:

Theresa said...

I know you just finished your will, but there's no need to try it out so soon! Glad you're feeling better. We will keep you in our prayers.

Mary said...

Just so you know, I was crying too - it was good you hung up or you would have had to hear it.