Sunday, December 13, 2009

Stupidity 101

I was going to buckle down and do some deep cleaning today.

You know, catching up on the things that you never have time for during the week.

Like actually mopping the floor, cleaning the toilets, vacuuming more than the tread pattern on the rug, cleaning the kitchen so that everything is where it belongs and clean out the oven where the turkey decided to drain its grease to the floor of the oven.

Like I said, cleaning that needs to be done.

That being said, I really did not consider how much the turkey had dumped onto the oven floor until about 30 minutes into the CLEAN mode. I looked up to see smoke pouring out of the front of the oven vent and streaming into the house. I jumped up from the Sunday paper frantically turning on all the fans, and shooing the kids and animals out the back door "hurry, find the cats!", and turning the CLEAN off.

I am hoping the smoke detector doesn't go off. My eyes are burning and I am coughing.

I holler at Vernon, "You may want to step out of the house." He comes out of the house complaining that his eyes are burning.

Colt and I dashed back inside as the smoke began to pour less profusely from the oven. We opened all the windows and turned on the fans in the upstairs bathrooms to help vent the risen smoke.

After about 45 minutes of cold air and multiple fans evacuating the smoke from the house we were able to go back in and get on with what we were doing.

But it will not be that cleaning I wanted to do.

Why? Because I'm stupid! - see above.

No comments: