Wednesday, February 10, 2010

I Am So Mean

The nightly ritual at my house is to get home, make dinner, help the kids with homework and watch my spouse fall asleep at almost exactly 8:20 PM in his chair, followed by attempts to wake him up before I give up and go to bed at 11:00 PM.

But the teacher needed to be working on the laborious lesson plan due on Thursday. Monday night was a total bust.

So last night, I started while he was still conscious at 8:05.

ME: "Hey, why don't you go into your office and get started"

HIM: "I'm good."

ME: "No, really you know you're going to be out in like 15 minutes. Go now while you can." It is like he is going to be eaten by a shark or something.

HIM: "I'm doing fine." sticks his tongue out at me.

ME: "Okay, I tried."

8:15 ME: "You're fading. Get up now!"

HIM: "I'm trying."

ME: "Try harder!"

8:20 ME: "And he's out! Honey, you're sleeping! Get UP!"

HIM: "I'm working on it."

This continued until 10 pm at which time he did get up. But after repeated efforts every 5 minutes with the last set I was constantly shaking his arm.

I proceeded to wait for the weather and fell asleep myself, missing the weather and waking up at 11:30 to wander into the office to tell my spouse good night. And he then thanks me profusely for getting him up.

Makes me feel awful to have to harp at him every five minutes when he really needs the sleep. I am so mean!

2 comments:

Mary said...

I don't think you are mean - I think you are pretty darn dedicated!

Theresa said...

Yeah. I totally would have given up on that at 8:15 and said, "fine. I guess that's your problem."