Our new church is gorgeous. Lots of things reminescent of the old churches I grew up in, stained glass windows, gold filigree tabernacle, elaborate stations of the cross. And Colt's "favorite" a return to black cassocks and white chausibles for the altar servers. Remember Mike wearing the one at Saint Mary's? Red for feast days and holidays under the white chausible. Amy loves it. Colt is acting like the world came to an end and he has to clean it all up. Colt asked Amy, "How do you get it on with all the buttons?" She told him "It's like a dress, unbutton the first few buttons and then pull it over your head or step into it." He turned away in total disgust. Then proceeded to lecture Amy and I on the way home about how dumb it was to have those replace the old albs. As ever, my son the expert on all things expounding upon his theories to the masses. And to top it all off, Amy and I ignored his rantings. SO then Vernon got to hear it all when we got home.
Tonight is my CCE class and we are going to be talking about the People of God. I learn more everytime I teach this class. I've got a book, All you wanted to know about Catholics, and it answers doctrine and dogma questions in a very real way not just pulling out all the Scripture and Pope So-and-So said this in 1013. I'm sure I'll get questions this week about what is the difference between Laity and religious and monks/brothers/priests. We have already tackled the "Jesus was Jewish" issue. THe entire class is all "What!" , "No Way!", "No , Ms. Burnham, he was Christian". The sixth graders have a definite penchant for the outrageous comment.
2 comments:
Oh my goodness, one of my favorites is "Catholicism for Dummies" Chuck and I have learned soooo much - and chuck went to Catholic School! the greatest part is that it is written in plain language without any sway on the topic. It simply states the facts of what Catholics believe and the origin of it. Fascinating stuff!
What?! Jesus was Jewish?!
Just kidding - I think that is hilarious!
Post a Comment