Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Growing Up Is Hard

Today I realized that my baby isn't my baby anymore.
Colt is quickly gaining in height and stature. We went to Mass on Sunday and he grabbed his sandals from last fall and put them on in the car only to find out that his toes stick out at least an inch on both feet. Uncomfortable to say the least and sadly, it was also funny to see his toes so far beyond the end of the sole. I checked his shoes this morning that we just bought a month ago to find that the tips of his toes are at the end of the shoe. Luckily, we had also gotten him a pair the next size up so he does have something to wear when the current pair gets too tight.
This morning wasn't going well for Colt and I. He felt like I was treating him like a baby when I said, "Honey, you need to move faster" as he showered, and then again later as I hurried him to get moving.
"Mom, quit treating me like I'm a baby!"
I had to assure him that I wasn't treating him like a baby. If I was I'd be drying his hair and dressing him and brushing his teeth for him.
He did calm down but not before he had fully expressed his frustration at being a new teenager by slamming doors and giving me the 'I hate you' stare a few times.
Dear God, Help me deal calmly and wisely with TWO teenagers. Amen.

No comments: