Tuesday, February 3, 2009

We Miss You, Dad.

This week on the 7th would have been Dad's 72nd birthday. I look back on the last 19 years without him and marvel at how far each of us has come and what all we have accomplished. I know at times his absence was so painful and yet we still carry his love for us wherever we go. I find myself using his sayings and remembering his "sorry" and "hanger" pronunciations. I think "Man, Dad would have loved this!" when I go to places like Space Center Houston or the zoo or am watching the History Channel shows on war and weapons with my son.
My one of my favorite memories of my father was when he came to Knoxville, Tennessee to see Mike and I at the 1982 World's Fair. We just walked and talked at the fair after we had marched. I know he was so proud and snapped pictures of us. It was just a unique time and place that makes me smile to remember.
I would love to get a favorite memory from each of you out there.

4 comments:

Mary said...

I miss him too. It seems kind of worse in a way now that Wally has joined him. I still feel their love, but I wonder what advice both of them would have for us now as we start this new chapter in our lives.

Mary said...

I just was thinking about the age you put out there and realized we will never remember Dad as old.

Theresa said...

He taught me to tie my shoes when I was three or four. I was thinking about that when I asked Luke if he wanted to learn how to tie his shoes and I told Luke that my Daddy taught me how.

Mary said...

I remember him teaching me to tie my shoes as well. I was having such a hard time with the bunny ear thing and making them tight enough to stay tied and he taught me the other way. It was like a switch was flipped and I finally got it.