Friday, February 27, 2009

Okay, Calm Me Down

Last night Colt came to me at 9PM and said "Mom? I don't know what happened." He had his shirt off and had a large scattering of little red dots known as petechiae across his chest, neck and jaw and the top of his arms. We went through the crappy day he had and identified that some kid had him in a choke hold in gym for about 5-10 seconds, enough that Colt got short of breath and coughed after the kid let him go.
So, I emailed the coach to get more information then I panicked. After checking his temperature, feeling for enlarged lymph nodes, perusing the rest of his body for bruising and petechiae and found nothing, I sent Colt up to bed.
Then I woke Vernon to let him know about the episode at school and the petechiae. We agreed that the email was fine and that I would take Colt to school this morning and talk to the coach. What I didn't say was that petechiae is a symptom of a blood disorder, like low platelets or leukemia OR choking like asphyxiation or having the blood supply cut off.
So this morning in addition to taking Colt to school I took him to my office and drew a CBC, (which my technician refuses to run) and then took him to school and spoke to the head coach. Then I went back to work and had a call from the coach who was there telling me that Colt and this other kid were fooling around and that Colt kicked and pushed this kid to get in line for kickball. He did confirm that this kid grabbed Colt around the chest. I refuted that claim that obviously something more had happened for the petechiae to have formed across his chest. He is going to talk to Colt and this other kid and I hope will call me back.
I have a call out to Colt's doctor to see if they will order a CBC for my peace of mind.
My doctor in my office tells me that low platelets or leukemia would manifest in petechiae to the lower extremities so I shouldn't worry. I'm trying.
I wanted to learn to be less judgemental and more patient during Lent, this is not what I had in mind.

3 comments:

Theresa said...

I can't calm you down because I'm freaking out too! I guess it would be better for you if you didn't know so much. At least the dr told you that it probably isn't a blood disorder. Hopefully, you can get a cbc and confirm that it isn't anything serious.

Joan said...

Nope, didn't get a call back but Colt told me this other kid has to stay away from him and he did get an apology from this Pedro. The coach did look at Colt's chest and verified that there indeed was a choke hold of some significance.

Got the lab taken up to Quest Diagnostics and we will get results by Monday, of course sooner if there is something critical going on. We will keep you posted.

Mary said...

Sorry - I did not write anything yesterday because I was so shocked and had no idea what to say to help out here. I am still shocked that something like that could go on at the school without the coach knowing about it.
It looks like you are handling things great. I would not know any of that stuff either. Please let me know what the blood test turns up.